Friday, July 3, 2009

chocolate pie

I made a dark chocolate cream pie for the inaugural UNP Pie-A-Palooza this week. While I didn't win a coveted trophy, it was still a great opportunity to practice my pie crust-making skills, which is something I need to keep working on. I was pretty pleased with my entry-I made two practice pies in the past month, along with one try at just making the filling, which we ate as a pudding.


The pie and crust recipe came from King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion All-Purpose Baking cookbook, otherwise known as my baking Bible. The single crust recipe called for both butter and crisco-I think from now on I'm going to work on all-butter crusts. The filling was an interesting combination of milk, sugar, and corn starch, which you cooked until a thickening stage, then you add egg yolks and more sugar. Once it comes to a boil, you have what looks like vanilla pudding, then you add unsweetened chocolate, vanilla, and butter. I considered swapping in a different type of chocolate, like bittersweet, but I didn't try that ahead of time on the practice pies, so I didn't want to risk it on the competition pie.

The winner of the taste category as well as best in show was a rhubarb lattice pie with cardamom and orange. The baker found the recipe on epicurious.com and decided to make it even though the online reviews were mixed. Her gamble paid off!

No comments: