Monday, May 26, 2008

I went on a gardening vacation, and all I got was rain

Well, half the week we had rain. I'm wrapping up my annual vacation week that's supposed to be dedicated to all things gardening, and while the beginning of the week was great, we've had rain 3 of the last 4 days. I did get 11 hand-grown tomato plants in the ground (3 better boys, 3 early girls, 2 brandywine, 2 black brandywine, and 1 jellybean) as well as a couple of bell pepper plants, bush bean seeds, onion sets, snap peas (I think it's too late for them, but Corrie wanted some peas) and also corn. (also not my idea but I was willing to give it a shot.)

It's a little difficult to see all of the tomato plants-Corrie installed cow fencing around most of them to serve as a really gigantic tomato cage.

When I couldn't garden, I did some minimal cleaning of the house and also worked on my Burnie fridgies. We also took Luther to his annual vet appointment which is no small undertaking, and we saw DeVotchKa in concert at the Slowdown in Omaha. It was a really good show, really nice club. There aren't many seats there, it's mostly set up for standing room, but we were lucky enough to get a high table in the balcony. (if you ever go and want a seat, get there really early!) I didn't take my camera because I get too distracted by it and forget to enjoy the live show, but there's one video on youtube right now of one of the last numbers. I'm not sure why they took the video from this angle rather than from a vertical perspective. You can't see us, but we were eye level with this woman at her highest point on the fabric.



I also finished watching season 1 of Flight of the Conchords. Thank you, Amy L. for introducing me to this show! I can't stop talking about how much I love it. The humor and songs are great! I think I might dress up as Mel, their lone fan, for Halloween this year. Unfortunately, I just figured out that they're performing in L.A. this Friday while I'm in town for BookExpo America, but their show is sold out! Maybe I'll run into them somewhere. I'm going to keep my eye out!

No comments: