Sunday, November 9, 2008

What a Week

It's been difficult to put my thoughts about the election together because I don't think they're any different than so many other people's feelings. Browse YouTube or Flickr and there are many more people out there with the same sorts of election week photos and videos that I have. Was it just me, or did Tuesday night just seem like it all unfolded too easily? No need to wake up at 3 am and check CNN to see if someone had surpassed 270 electoral votes, it was in the books by 10 pm. I like to think Obama was just running up the score with the rest of the electoral votes. He deserved to run up the score, too.

It was over a year ago that I started thinking about the election and who I wanted to support. I had paid attention to Senator Obama's speech at the 2004 Democratic convention, and I knew back then that I would support him should he run for president, but last year I couldn't even let myself think an entire "what if he won?" thought because I didn't want to get my hopes up (again) and be let down (again) on election night. I had prepared myself after the 2004 election to never invest my support into another national election, and I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to see a politician in my lifetime who has the same "it" factor as the Kennedy brothers. After listening to my share of Obama speeches and debates on CNN, though, I couldn't help but buy into the hope.

I've enjoyed watching our red state Nebraska show its blue colors over the past year. (and really show its blue colors on election night with Omaha's electoral vote going to Obama! Plus he won Lancaster County, although unfortunately that wasn't enough to earn a 2nd electoral vote.) I will never forget attending the Obama speech at the Civic Auditorium in Omaha last February (thank you, Senator Obama, for visiting our state!), nor the Obama rally held on O Street the following night, which was Nebraska's Caucus eve.



And then more rallies this week, plus the big announcement election night from Barry's bar and grill during the Lancaster County Democrats post-election party.





One of my favorite moments from the television coverage over the past week came at the end of the Stephen Colbert/John Stewart election night coverage on Comedy Central. At the 43:00 mark in this video, John Stewart announces that Senator Obama has won, and you can see that both of them are moved and are struggling to stay in character.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=209493

I know Obama is going to have a very difficult presidency. I wonder what it feels like to have the weight of this country and the weight of the world on your shoulders. Seems like it would be painful!

No comments: