Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Am I a Binge Eater?

I know it was a happy day for Jana because our monthly issue of Top Health arrived at work today. (She really likes them. I think she keeps them in a 3-ring binder.) It includes an interesting quiz: "Are you a Binge Eater?" Let us consider the questions:

Q. Do you sometimes eat a large amount of food, even when you're not really hungry?
A. How large do they mean? I think I always eat a large amount of food whether or not I'm hungry, so I guess my answer has to be "yes".

Q. Do you feel the need to eat alone because you're embarrassed about how much you eat?
A. Not really, although I suppose if there's a food day at work, I might be sneakier about my third trip in for treats.

Q. During a binge, do you eat more quickly than usual?
A. I go at my standard eating pace.

Q. Do you eat until you're uncomfortably full?
A. If I think I'm going to be in a situation like that, I try to prepare first by putting on my comfy pants.

Q. Do you hide food containers from others?
A. Not so much hide as just "fail to mention" that I bought chips or tasty cereal.

Q. Do you feel your eating is out of control?
A. When eating an entire bag of popcorn, I don't think I've ever thought to myself, "my eating is out of control." Maybe I should!

Q. Have you binged at least twice a week for six months or more?
A. I have been a good eater for over 20 years.

They're kind enough not to give you a breakdown of how many yes answers are too many, but they do warn that weight loss will be difficult until you get your behavior under control and also recommend you speak to a physician. My plan is to keep exercising to offset the food.

2 comments:

halfpassgirl said...

In the past couple of days I have eaten an entire one-pound bag of Smarties. Each individual Smarty seems so small and innocent . . .

Jana said...

Oh, yes, any day with Top Health is a good day. When I see it in my mailbox at work I often whisper an excited "Top Health!"

I'm trying to turn it into a new hip phrase meaning something good (like "cool").

for example:
Wow, that's really top health!
or
Dude--so top health!