Saturday, February 23, 2008

Is it ok to just rake up the snow with the leaves?

It's a balmy 45 degrees already today, which if you factor in the windchill last Wednesday, that's a temperature difference of 65 degrees! It feels so good, I'm ready to tear into the yard and do the chores that should've been done last October, or maybe November at the latest. The trouble in Nebraska is the trees just don't lose their leaves until December, so unless we get some nice Christmas weather, the leaves just don't get raked until springtime. I don't think this is all bad, since I hope they serve as insulation to the plants below, but they can't stay there forever. I might try to hold off until the rest of the snow melts, I guess.

I've been periodically surveying the yard (both for plants and graffiti, we had some issues last month) and found signs of the first tulips emerging. They come up every year about this time, and I know that they'll be ok even if there's some chilly March weather.


The rest of the yard looks kind of sad, but it won't be long before there will be plenty of plants to care for and weeds to pull.

The butterfly garden today:



The butterfly garden, just last fall:

I'm hoping sometime this weekend I track down the crocus I've planted! Surely they're ready to come up.

2 comments:

halfpassgirl said...

Happy gardening! Are you going to start some seeds indoors? Here in Cottage Grove we have a fantabulous seed store called Territorial Seeds. They have seeds for, like, 600 different kinds of tomatoes. Last year I raised yellow grape tomatoes. They were yummy.

Erica said...

Yep, I'm going to start some stuff indoors! I already have my seeds. I'm going to try several kinds of tomatoes this year, including some of those purple-colored tomatoes. More on that in weeks to come!